The restaurant manager is there to ensure that the restaurant operates efficiently and profitably while maintaining the Pieminister reputation and ethos. They must coordinate a variety of activities. As manager you will responsible for the business performance of your restaurant, as well as maintaining high standards of food, service, and health and safety.
Restaurant management combines strategic planning, shift pattern organisation and day-to-day management activities and also creative aspects, particularly in marketing and business development.
Typical work activities
- Taking responsibility for the business performance of the restaurant.
- Analysing and planning restaurant sales levels and profitability.
- To proactively promote and exceed agreed KPI’s
- Organising marketing activities, such as promotional events and discount schemes.
- Ensuring compliance with licensing, hygiene and health and safety legislation/guidelines
- Preparing reports at the end of the shift/week, including staff control, food control and sales.
- Stock control: Accurate waste management and manage monthly stock-takes and weekly key – line checks, to review results and variances with relevant departments.
- Creating and executing plans for department sales, profit and staff development.
- Setting budgets and/or agreeing them with senior management.
- Liaising with suppliers, licensing authorities, sales representatives etc.
- Planning and coordinating menus.
- To provide a clear handover during shift changes and ensure each shift is reviewed and handovers/briefings are carried out
- To build and maintain an efficient team of employees, driving the team towards the objectives of the business
- The recruitment and selection of employees to the agreed staffing levels using cost effective recruitment methods
- Ensure professional departmental inductions are completed consistently.
- The delivery of all key training, identifying training needs and capability gaps within the team
- The management of all employees’ performance, in line with job descriptions, giving regular feedback and appraisals
- The management of disciplinary and grievance issues within the department in consultation with the Area and Operations Managers.
- Coordinating the entire operation of the restaurant during scheduled shifts.
- Manage kitchen standards – food quality and presentation to spec cards.
- Managing staff and providing them with feedback.
- Rota planning and weekly payroll checking.
- To ensure all staff are well briefed on their responsibilities/ menu changes and are given constant supervision and motivation on all aspects of their work
- Responding to customer complaints using the company protocol.
- Ensuring that all employees adhere to the company's uniform standards.
- Meeting and greeting customers and organising table reservations.
- To exercise and train the staff in the art of maximizing incremental sales by adding customer value at every opportunity
- Develop a culture of actively seeking feedback from customers on a regular basis.
- Advising customers on menu and drinks choices?
- Organising and supervising the shifts of kitchen and waiting staff.
- Maintaining high standards of quality control, hygiene, and health and safety.
- Ensure a safe workplace by identifying and reporting hazards to AM, where necessary, and taking corrective action locally, if safe and possible.
- The monitoring of all compliance documentation and check weekly, filing and actions of/from all this documentation.
- Checking stock levels and ordering supplies.
- Preparing cash drawers and providing petty cash as required.
- Helping in any area of the restaurant when circumstances dictate.