The assistant restaurant manager is there to support the manager at all times, to help ensure that the restaurant operates efficiently and profitably while maintaining the Pieminister reputation and ethos. They must help coordinate a variety of activities. As assistant manager you will support the manager to ensure the positive performance of your restaurant, as well as maintaining high standards of food, service, and health and safety.
Assistant restaurant management combines supporting the manager in strategic planning, shift pattern organisation and day-to-day management activities and also help with the creative aspects, particularly in marketing and business development.
Typical work activities
- In the absence of the manager taking responsibility for the business performance of the restaurant.
- To proactively promote and exceed agreed KPI’s and help cascade them down through the team
- Support marketing activities, such as promotional events and discount schemes.
- Ensuring compliance with licensing, hygiene and health and safety legislation/guidelines
- In the managers absence repairing reports at the end of the shift/week, including staff control, food control and sales.
- Support the creation and the executing plans for department sales, profit and staff development.
- Support the manager in setting budgets across the business.
- Where required liaising with suppliers, licensing authorities, sales representatives etc.
- To provide a clear handover during shift changes and ensure each shift is reviewed and handovers/briefings are carried out
- To support in the building and maintenance an efficient team of employees, driving the team towards the objectives of the business.
- Support the recruitment and selection of employees to the agreed staffing levels using cost effective recruitment methods
- Ensure professional departmental inductions are completed consistently.
- The delivery of key training, identifying training needs and capability gaps within the team
- Support the management of all employees’ performance, in line with job descriptions, giving regular feedback and appraisals
· Support the manager with disciplinary and grievance issues within the department in consultation with the Area and Operations Managers.
- Coordinating the entire operation of the restaurant during scheduled shifts.
- Manage kitchen standards – food quality and presentation to spec cards.
- Support in the management of staff and providing them with feedback.
- In the managers absence staff schedule planning and weekly payroll checking.
- To ensure all staff are well briefed on their responsibilities/ menu changes and are given constant supervision and motivation on all aspects of their work.
- Responding to customer complaints using the company protocol.
- Ensuring that all employees adhere to the company's uniform standards.
- Meeting and greeting customers and organising table reservations.
- To exercise and train the staff in the art of maximizing incremental sales by adding customer value at every opportunity.
- Advising customers on menu and drinks choices?
- Support in the development of a culture of actively seeking feedback from customers on a regular basis.
- Support the manager in recruiting, training and motivating staff.
- Organising and supervising the shifts of kitchen and waiting staff.
- Maintaining high standards of quality control, hygiene, and health and safety.
- Ensure a safe workplace by identifying and reporting hazards to manager, where necessary, and taking corrective action locally, if safe and possible.
- In the absence of the manager monitor all compliance documentation and check weekly, filing and actions of/from all this documentation.
- Checking stock levels and ordering supplies, when required.
- Preparing cash drawers and providing petty cash as required.
- Helping in any area of the restaurant when circumstances dictate.